1800 91 1800
What is a Cloud Phone System?
A hosted, Cloud or virtual PBX are all names given to a phone system that has no on-site installation within a business.
A hosted or Cloud PBX are name given to a phone system that has no on-site installation within a business. This type of phone system is completely operated through the Internet and is generally managed through a website or an application.
A Cloud phone system utilises VoIP (Voice over IP) technology, using a standard internet connection to make and receive calls. You may have already experienced VoIP through consumer platforms such as Skype, WhatsApp or Facebook.
What is the difference between Cloud and on-site phone systems?
On-site phone systems
Traditionally a PBX (Private Branch Exchange) would sit in a business’s datacentre or server room and would most commonly be managed by the IT team.
An on-site setup has several differences from a hosted PBX. Firstly, the hardware is needed at every site that uses fixed landlines and this requires wiring into the business network. IP-enabled PBXs are available and allow an easier connection to SIP Trunks
While some larger businesses employ specialist telecom engineers to manage their infrastructure, most businesses outsource the support and maintenance of their phone systems to a third party who would be on call in case of emergency, based on the terms of the contract.
Line rental is decided by the contract with the telecom carrier. Eircom, Vodafone, BT Ireland etc.
A business would have more control and security over an on-site phone system.
Cloud phone systems
A Cloud phone system is completely managed by a third party and no phone system is required on-site. There is no additional power consumption in the data centre and support and maintenance will also be the responsibility of the provider.
Its users still can make instant decisions, like adding an extension number, and this kind of change can be done through a management portal. Increasing or decreasing the size of your solution can be done quickly and without the need for additional infrastructure.
Using the internet to make calls, means that no physical handsets are required, and calls can be made through any device with an Internet connection. IP handsets, mobiles, tablets, laptops and desktops can all be used to make and receive business calls.
All upgrades are included in the contract price and will be completed by a third party.
Switching from on-site to the Cloud
- You can keep your existing numbers to avoid any confusion for your customers.
- If you already have IP-enabled handsets, most models will be supported by a Cloud PBX.
- You will gain access to a large range of telephony features that are included in the price. For example, our in2pbx solutions come with call monitoring, reporting, call parking, forwarding and many more. See our in2pbx page for more information on a hosted system’s features.
- Reduce operational, installation and maintenance costs around telephony.
- Easily add additional layers of continuity to your phone systems
- Scale up or down easily, without the need for additional infrastructure or heavy costs.
- Reduce your overall phone bill without losing call quality.
in2tel is a telecoms carrier and solution provider that’s been operating in Ireland and the UK for 15 years. It provides organisations with an affordable, bespoke design that is often found in large-scale enterprises. in2tel’s services provide communication channels for contact centres, sales and marketing teams and internal departments for a large variety of small businesses and SMEs.